Re: creating complete OS image

I generally just back up my data since it is pretty straight forward
to re-install the operating system. I point Apache DocumentRoot to
someplace in the /home directory (I do /home/http) and have a cron
job back up the databases into /home/dbbackup. Then, I have a cron
job that rsync's /home, /root and /etc to another machine each
night.

As far as the operating system is concerned, there is a way to save
your package selection (ie, what packages are installed on a
particular machine) on one floppy.

Using this, I have recovered a dead machine in a few hours before.

Don't know if this is "best practise" but it works for my small
operation.

Rod