Re: tomcat problems

On Monday 10 October 2005 04:40 pm, jack wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a helluva time getting tomcat to work on woody w/apache 1.3.
> i've got tomcat 4 installed, IBM sdk installed and symlinked in
> /usr/local/ to /usr/local/java. it looked like tomcat may have been
> reaching the kaffe java packages, so i changed all the java related
> packages in /etc/alternatives to point to the new location. I go to
> start tomcat with the init.d script, and it doesn't error out, but
> nothing gets started. i've tried exporting JAVA_HOME via bash, then
> running /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/start.sh and that launches a catalina
> start script, but nothing else:
>
> host:~# set |grep -i java
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-142
>
> host:~# /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/startup.sh
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat4
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat4
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat4/temp
> Using JAVA_HOME:       /usr/local/IBMJava2-ppc-142
>
> host:~# ps aux | grep tom
> root     31969  0.0  0.1  3244 1464 pts/0    S    14:26   0:00 /bin/sh
> /usr/share/tomcat4/bin/catalina.sh start
>
> I've done a good amount of googling for tutorials and howto's which all
> seem fairly similar, and pretty straight foward, though nothing i've
> tried is working.
>
> can anyone suggest a good known working tutorial or howto for making
> this work?
>
> also, i'm using debian on a xserver powerpc architecture which could be
> the problem (???), hence the reason i'm using IBM's sdk and not Sun's.
>
> any insight appreciated, i'm not sure where to go at this point, and i
> need to get this setup asap.
>
> thanks...

what has worked for me (for SUN JDK, at least - you can try replacing the the
sun jdk with IBM jdk):

1) apt-get install fakeroot java-package
2) fakeroot make-jpkg jdk-xxxx.bin
		(where jdk-xxxx.bin is the sun jdk download.)
3) after some questions, you get a .deb package
4) dpkg -i whatever.deb

then, try installing tomcat4 and whatever else.

hope that helps.

anoop.