Re: cyrus backup (LVM stability)

Andy Smith wrote:

now we're studying how to get a good enough backup.  After
discarding LVM snapshots and stopping the mail server, Our options
seem to be:

may I ask why you discarded the LVM snapshots? any problems with that
approach?

I've found them extremely unstable producing frequent kernel-space
lockups and it appea2.6.8-2-686-smps to be something that the LVM chaps at Red Hat
are actively working on.

With LVM /  2.6.8-2-686-smp  / reiserfs

We had kernel panics every 24 hours or so, when we took LVM out of the picture, the kernel panics stopped.

We feel a little guilty about not digging deeper and filing decent bug reports but...