Re: consumer grade circuits vs pro grade circuits

"Dan M. MacNeil" <dan@thecsl.org> writes:

> The recent multi-homing discussion had a few disparaging remarks about
> "consumer grade" circuits.
>
> I've heard people (particularly sales people) express the opinion that a
> T1 was much better than DSL in terms of quality.
>
> However, it is difficult to pin people down on specifics and several
> evenings of googling have not brought me clarity.
>
> In our case, one of our spaces is within a few hundred meters of the
> central office. We can get very high quality 6M/785K DSL for $150/month
>
> Theoretically (3) fast DSL connections would give us more bandwidth and
> redundancy than one $400 T1 (we get non profit pricing)

As the prior posters have noted, the only real difference is in your
SLA and in the telco's responsiveness in outages.  Here in Verizon
land, we can usually get a repair commit time on a T1 or higher outage
of 3-4 hours or less.  DSL trouble must be submitted through a web
form (no phone calls) and they won't even talk to you about repair
status until at least 24 hours have passed.

--
Ted Cabeen                http://www.cabeen.org                 ted@cabeen.org
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2            ted@impulse.net