Re: Multihoming an end user

At 12:56 PM 9/25/05 +0300, Juha-Matti Tapio wrote:
>Correctly working caches do not grow the TTL. If the original DNS server
>says that the TTL is 60 seconds then all caches should obey it. In my
>experience most caches work correctly with regards to TTL so that 60 seconds
>will not be magically multiplied to three minutes.

But won't each cache set it's own TTL to 60.?  So each cache retrieval will
start a new 60 second timer even though the source could be near the end of
the TTL.  So an nth degree cache could be n x 60 out of sync.

At 12:13 AM 9/25/05 -0500, Eric Cunnningham wrote:
>Thinking bigger scope, we have a T1 connection to our parent company
>used for VoIP applications.  They also have a T1 or greater connection
>to the internet.  If we move to a T1 locally, we might be able to
>convince them to split a new /24 and route BGP over these two links.
>This is however, beyond my call.

Heck if u already have a T1 to ur head office I would leverage that for ur
data traffic too.  U have the reliability of a T1 (and T1 SLA) and u'll have
IP space that cannot be taken away.  Ur company would have one internet
connection point to deal with and that itself could be multihomed, much more
easily that multihoming branch offices.

At 11:45 PM 9/24/05 -0500, Eric Cunnningham wrote:
>Ok, so getting an ASN is key.  I guess the real question remains then,
>would a DSL provider route BGP4 over a DSL link or do we need to upgrade
>our service to T1 levels first.

If u have a business class service maybe.

>It's the Watchguard VPN that does make the NAT/script idea fall apart if
>we want full redundancy.  We have a few employees that work offsite but
>more importantly we have several employees who work in our building
>employed by our parent company using the VPN to their offices.  Internet
>could route fine with the new route, email would continue with a
>secondary MX on the other IP, but the VPN needs set to a static IP.

So the VPN setup requires statically set source and destination IPs?  U
could still get this to work by setting up 2 VPNs.  One defined with the
ISP1 IP, another with ISP2's IP.  U can get the inbound to ur office VPN
working redundantly by putting ur VPN server's two IPs into their client
app.  Cisco VPN automatically does this with it's load balancing/backup
capability.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede malis"

00000100