Re: Mode ap with a wireless card under linux

Finally, I went back to the shop I bough the SMC, got refund and get a DWL-G520 from another shop. It's working perfectly with a big WEP key and in AP mode. I'm going to go further and try WPA. I'm a happy D-Link customer (even I'm almost sure they didn't spend a buck on a linux driver).

Thomas

Thomas Goirand (GPLHost) wrote:

Hi !

I've tried 2 cards for having my home gateway as an access point for me and my neighborhood. I've tried 2 cards, first a RaLink 2570 USB branded by ASUS. They claim it works under Linux, in fact, when trying the driver, it simply crashes the Linux kernel when you try to use it (ie play with ifconfig / insmod / rmmod).

So I went to get another. The only I found was a SMC 2802W. Too bad again, because it's a V2 of the board that uses a "softmac" as I could see on prism54 forums, and that softmac is not supported.

I feel like both ASUS and SMC cheated me, ASUS even more because they have the driver downloadable online for Linux. I'll have to try to resell my boards forget about the 73 euros spent, or pray someone has enough spare time to work on the driver. I hate it...

So my question is simple: what the hell should I buy to have a working AP powered by open source? As I live in Paris, I can get any of those cards:

http://www.rue-montgallet.com/prix/75012/comparer/130/Reseaux-sans-fil/

Thomas