Re: RAD FCD-24 and X.21/V.35 Controller for Linux

On Wed, Jun 22, 2005 at 11:42:25PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-06-22 13:47:59, schrieb Jesse Molina:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm confused about what you are trying to accomplish.  What is your end
> > goal?  How many of those E1 timeslots are you planning to use?  How many
> > E1s are being delivered to your site/sites?

You could try Cyclades / Sangoma for the cards. Certainly Cyclades had
good Linux drivers. Look through back issues of Linux Journal for the
advertisements and, possibly, even for articles on setting up.

> I like to setup some independant Servers with only an E1 as interface.
> For example one in Germany, one in France, one in Iran, ...
>
> My problem is not the Connection speed, bust the price of the hosting
> providers if I ask for >400 GByte diskspace.

You are setting yourself up as a multinational ISP and telecoms company
:) Your problem is primarily going to be compliance with international
regulations and bureaucracy, then the hosting provision.  If you need
400GB diskspace, that's one SATA disk - big deal. What the big ISP's are
charging for is 24 hour power, guaranteed time for mending failures and
some quality of service. They generally buy their bandwidth from national
telecoms companies in one way or another e.g. Thus (Demon Internet) have all
sorts of peering arrangements with other ISP's and "dedicated cable"
from UK - Netherlands, but since they don't own cable laying ships, my
guess is that they've bought the bandwidth of that cable from BT / Cable
and Wireless or whoever. This in a "developed" infrastructure and
market. Lots of ISP's have closed down / lost money over the years
thus lots of cheap kit - so you can be the beneficiary of a lorry load
of equipment that is someone else's rubbish / end of life inventory.

You are now trying to be an international telecoms player, an ISP and a
charity. In Morocco, you may stand a chance: the telecoms infrastructure
to get bandwidth into the country is not too bad and they'll welcome
ways of getting that bandwidth further from the coast. Plus, through
history and geography, the Maghreb is fairly tied to Europe. I don't
know about the legal and regulatory issues - it may be they are still
developing, in which case you can be one of the early players in the
market.

In Strasbourg / Germany: you will effectively be a customer of a
national telco or another ISP - just another customer because bandwidth
and connectivity is a commodity and you pay the going rate BUT hosting
needs more effort to provide a guaranteed quality of service/call centre
and so on. That's what the big ISP's are charging for and small ISP's
are effectively buying from the big ISP's and selling on.

In Iran, you'll be up against the State, in one form or another.
Government regulation/censorship may be severe or intrusive. You'd
presumably better be able to implement heavy duty filtering. As a woman
and a foreign national, it's possible you'll need to find someone in
Iran to act for you. [This is only IMHO - you might sail through
everything - but be prepared for the ground to shift under you]