Re: Apache 2.x remote logging

k18 <k18@email.it> writes:

> Alle 09:01, martedì 31 maggio 2005, Fredrik Steen ha scritto:
>> I'm in the process of building a web farm consisting of 10-20-30 something
>> web servers handling 300k of virtual hosts and have started to look at how
>> to handle logging for these hosts.
>>
>> Do anyone have any good ideas how to handle that massive amount of log
>> files? Preferably using some sort of remote log collector.
>>

> You can do it in 2 ways. With pipe in apache loggin or you can use two scripts
> wich can help you in that you want.
> However you can find more here:
> http://slacksite.com/apache/logging.html

The log files will be huge from each web server and when merged sorted the
resulting log file will be enormous >20GB and then have to be split and stats
generated for each log file, don't think that will hold in the long run.

Tried merging 4 x 500MB access_log with mergelog[1] took 12 minutes on
standard machine (2.2Ghz 1G RAM (hw)Raid5 SCSI 10k disks)

Have anyone tested mod_log_spread with good result especially with the apache
2.x version?

> PS: Excuse me for my "bad" english... I'm italian

Same here I'm Swedish :)

[1] apt-cache show mergelog

--
 .''`. Fredrik Steen, stone@debian.org
: :' : 2CD6 C838 BE77 795F 5EF1  3E5B DA91 EE7B A58E 164