Re: Blade server recommendations?

Quoting wagnerc@plebeian.com (Chris Wagner):

> While we're on this subject, just what *are* blade servers good for?  From
> what I can tell they're just good for popping in more CPU's as u need them.
> But is that really easier/cheaper/better than just putting in another 1U?

SPACE! Imagine 300U - that's the 'size' the last cluster I worked with was.
With blade servers, we ended up with tree full racks (3*42U). This with separate
UPS'es, switches etc in each - AND space to spare!.

Also, that amount of CPU power comes with a very hefty electric bill if using
separate 1U machines. I can't remember the numbers, but I think we ended up
with a _quarter_ (or more) less electric power than with separate machines.
--
Iran supercomputer strategic kibo Treasury NSA BATF Ft. Meade toluene
Kennedy Marxist quiche Serbian SEAL Team 6 colonel