Re: IP forwarding?

> 1)  and probably most obvious - why would your visitors be using IP
numbers?

This is not website. This is everything from FTP to VPN connections.

> 2)  what would there be, technically, stopping an attack on IP 1.2.3.x at
> 1.2.3.x?  I mean, if you've mapped or routed requests to 1.2.3.x to go to
> 5.6.7.x , what's will stop the attack before it gets to 5.6.7.x ?

This is not an attack. No one is attacking any IPs. I am talking about a
situation which would be very similar to moving ISPs, and having a way to
migrate progressively by forwarding the IPs from the old ISP to the new ISP.

> 3)  isn't there other sucurity methods in place (firewall) or that can be
> put in place easier than doing all of the mapping (while getting visitors
> off of using IP numbers)?

See above... not really relevent.

> 4)  have you got a hardware firewall/gateway?
> 5)  in the case of web services - assuming the use of the Apache web
> server - couldn't you configure it to reject requests with an IP, and on
the
> error page tell the visitor to use a certain domain name?  Wouldn't that
be
> easier than doing all of this mapping?

If this were a website, DNS tricks can be used, reducing TTL, etc. but this
is not the case.

> 6)  by "visitors" I'm assuming you're talking about outside of the
> network.(?)

That was an example... visitors could be everything from someone outside
connecting via VPN, or FTP, or web, or VoIP, etc.

Hope that gives you a relatively clearer picture. I am sure others here have
moved ISPs and have done something similar, so I was hoping for some
starting points.