Re: Courier or Cyrus

--On Thursday, March 17, 2005 17:52 -0300 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:

Weird, very weird.  What does that production server run?

Version: 2.1.17-0woodyFULLHASH.1.2
Not an official version of yours, its like .1 or .1.1 of yours + patches from me to do the cosmetic stuff and the no groups patches since it drives my LDAP servers wild.

> But a deadlock that requires a reboot? Don't you mean a Cyrus restart?
> If it requires a _reboot_, something is very wrong indeed and I had
> never heard of anythink like this.

No, a reboot.  Not cyrus restart.  Cyrus restart doesn't' fix the POP3
deadlock (and yes I make sure no pop3/pop3proxy processes are lying

Any stuck locks in the filesystem?

Not even sure how to check for this...?

around).  Complete, full reboot.  It did this to us in RedHat 7.3
systems  too, so it's nothing specific to Debian woody+your fulldirhash
package.
[...]
As to what/why/how, I don't know.  We've totally changed hardware since
RH7.3 but we're still in the 2.1 series (2.1.17 Debian version, from
you)

Ah. You might want to get the 2.1.18 packages from sid, they have some
security fixes.

I've integrated them into the 2.1.17 stream (two or three files) and they're in testing to hopefully get rolled out this weekend. I'm soooo swamped out... right now I'm maintaining close to 100 servers.

This looks like some very weird bug :(  next time, please strace -p the
hung processes, that might give us a clue.  Send them some signals like
sighup and sigterm, to see how they behave (after attaching strace to
them).

If I get a chance to, I usually have to recover this REALLY quickly as people have this STUPID idea if they can't poll every minute their mail is down and they flood our support team with phone calls. So usually I'm under huge pressure to just reboot the box and get it back.

except for one, I have to disable the groupchecks stuff since it ends up
downloading nearly our entire LDAP database for every login.  The other

Yeah, that thing is hideous on nsswitch setups where the databases are on
LDAP.

Hideous only barely begins to describe it ;) Code labotmy helps though. Although...I might have made it a config variable patch. It's been a while since I actually *looked* at what I did there :)

Debian Cyrus 2.1 seems to handle lookout just fine, or atleast we don't
get  any complaints. :)  (Honest, as much as I want to I'm no BOFH :))

Good. I had to track down and add some very weird patches to get it to
behave with outcrook...  and it *was* Cyrus' fault, for once.  It did not
syncronize seen states between two different concurrent sessions as well
as outlook wants.

Well and there was some other odd issues we had involving lots of interactions and losing flags. But we had 30 odd clients in the same busy folder, with probably 10 different mail programs :)

Yeah but what if the mailbox doesn't exist in the current mailboxes db?

I just add them back using a script.

On the 'needs to be done' pile here. It isn't a major thing, but it's kind of a pain. I still feel that Cyrus is far better than anything else out there, though maybe Dovecot is better but I haen't tried/worked with it.

pain.  If reconstruct could fix/readd mailboxes it'd probably work.

It should be trivial to readd that functionality in 2.2 and 2.3...

We're not super keen on moving forward, it takes me a lot of work to test and qualify a new version, and customers are so overly sensitive to email issues.

One for every per-user state? Creepy.

No, it seemed like it was some oddball binary value converted to text (an integer)...I can't recall specifically though.

Yep.  The only thing I don't like is the mupdate master, but one can do HA
there rather easily anyway.

Yeah, and at a certain scaling size that could somehow become a write bottleneck....but you'd have to have a pathological case.

And murder makes it completely trivial to move mailboxes around the
cluser, allows for weird setups where some nodes are on the far side of
WAN links (and thus much closer to the customer's lan), etc.  And it
gives as many caching proxies for lmtp, imap and pop3 as one could want
:-)

Yup! We actually used that feature to migrate from older hardware to newer hardware! Transparently, live! Just start moving mailboxes and let it go. Worked GREAT. We did have a few problems but that was because the previous machine prior to my working here had someone get the great (And stupid) idea of NFS mounting the spool. Sot here was garbage fromt hat. Also prior to me, they tended to do a lot of stuff directly on the filesystem. When I moved everything I told everyone to more or less forget /var/spool/imap exists.