Re: recent apache updates

This one time, at band camp, Charles Fry said:
> >>I would like to know why, in the recent updates of sarge, apt-get
> >>installed
> >>many packages related to caudium. I suppose it's caused by the dependency
> >>on
> >>www server of some packages, but in all my boxes there was already apache2
> >>or apache-ssl...
> >

> >It is a php dependency with an 'or' condition, I believe, easily
> >satisfied without actually installing caudium.
>
> Can you be more specific? I would like to file a bug, if it hasn't been
> done already. I took a brief look earlier this week, and was unsure just
> where this was coming from. I can look deeper, of course, but thought
> I'd check if you had already tracked it down.

steve@gashuffer:~$ apt-cache show php4
[snip]
Depends: libapache-mod-php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-9) | libapache2-mod-php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-9) | caudium-php4 (>= 4:4.3.10-9), php4-common (>= 4:4.3.10-9)

No bug necessary, you just have to look at the dependencies.  So, to
install php4, you either need libapache-mod-php4, libapache2-mod-php4,
or caudium-php4.  The fact that apt chose the caudium route probably
meant that it was an easier to satisfy dependency (guesswork - I didn't
delve into that side of it.

Just apt-get install php4 $webserver-php4 to get the right modules.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |