Re: securing a WLAN with PPP (or the like)

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:17:35PM +0100, emilio brambilla wrote:
> hello,

> martin f krafft wrote:

> >Plus, I really would prefer a solution not requiring extra software.
> >Are there no other means to encrypt a PPP session than MPPE?

> why don't you use wpa?

> using eap/peap you have login+password auth with no additional software
> on the client side

> on the server side you can use the freeradius 1.0.1-2 from the testing:

> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/8021X-HOWTO/

No EAP-PEAP in the FreeRADIUS server in testing, due to a license
conflict between OpenSSL and FreeRADIUS's GPL'd modules.

However, you can grab the upstream 1.0.2 release, build it locally, and
put it on hold, and you'll get roughly the same package. (Minus some
lintian fixes.)

As for the actual discussion, I'm currently experimenting with IPSec
over wireless, with the intention to put L2TP on top of _that_, since
L2TP/IPSec support is built in to Win2K/WinXP clients, and available as
a download for Win95/Win98/WinME/WinNT4 clients.

In the scenario I'm looking at, I will control both ends of the link,
so I can use X.509 certificates for the IPSec link, but I haven't gotten
that working here yet. >_<

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.