Re: Re: Lilo + RAID1 @ root partition

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 05:46:37PM +0200, Nmap@city.fi wrote:
> Hi
>
> Correct! the boot= should be md2 not md10 in my case, thanks =)
>
> but... mm.. err how do I write correct MBR to sda & sbd now when the
> situation is that I have bootet system on HDA because booting failed
> in sda or sba after power went off (damm syster!!)

To write standard mbr you don't need lilo.conf at all, but anyway
you need it to install lilo in partition's boot record ;)

> Could that be somehow like mount /dev/md10 as /foo (real root partion
> is sda3 or sdb3) and copy /foo/etc/lilo.conf to /etc/lilo.conf and
> then run lilo whit some special schwitches to get right thihgs to
> those sda & sdb disks to get system running?

lilo has -r option, so you don't need to copy config - `lilo -r /foo`
should do the trick, just don't forget to `mount /dev/md2 /foo/boot`
before. You may also need to mount /foo/dev and maybe /foo/proc (I don't
remember if /proc is required, for /dev that depends of your config).

And if you are using my method you need also:

lilo -M /dev/sda mbr
lilo -M  /dev/sdb mbr

Lilo should install standard mbr which will start bootloader from
active partition on that disk and to do so it doesn't require any data
from your lilo.conf, so for this step you don't need any special mounts.
Next make your boot partitions active by:

lilo -A /dev/sda 1
lilo -A /dev/sdb 1

And your system should boot without problems (I hope).

Regards,
    Robert Tasarz