Re: Debian in a production environment

On Tue, 2005-02-08 09:32:52 +0100, Dirk Ruediger <dgrue@web.de>
wrote in message <[🔎] 42087934.4080703@web.de>:
> One question I have is: is it possible to run a debian box if i have to
> run proprietary software on it?

It is.

> I have a compaq proliant box running with debian in a production
> environment and sometimes I consider switching to fedora because most
> proprietary software (data bases, J2EE application servers, etc.)
> provides linux support only for redhat and suse -- and I'm not always
> free to choose Postgres and JBoss).

"Providing support" means that somebody is willing to sign a contract
that it'll run on an unaltered SuSE installation. This doesn't mean that
it won't (technically) run on a Debian box. It only means that the guy
sending you the software doesn't guarantee that it'll work.

Arising problems (like incompatible libraries) can easily be resolved.
If you've got a capable system operator around, this shouldn't be much
of an issue.

> I dont know If I run into real trouble when sticking to debian (but my
> heart says "do it!" ;-).

It's solely about support contracts. The software supplier may just tell
you that he won't support his software on your operating system, so
that's your job then. (Maybe you'd install a SuSE system into bochs or
usermode linux or the like to have such a system available if the
software actually breaks, though...)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O