Re: per-person SMTP client

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 07:56:59PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> We are looking for a /usr/sbin/sendmail provider which honours user
> configuration. The reason is that we are moving to SASL for
> authenticating mail sent from remote laptops and want each user to
> use his or her own password to relay mail via the smarthost.
>
> With that in place, I wonder how to handle email generated by all
> the other accounts (e.g. root, or email generated by logcheck (as
> user logcheck)).

your best bet is to rent a co-lo server somewhere and run postfix on it.

then you'll have complete control over your own inbound and outbound mail.

cost will be between $50 and $100 US per month, for as many email accounts as
you want.  and you can run other stuff on the server too - web, webmail, ftp,
dns, whatever.

since mail is the most important function of the server, make sure you choose
a provider that actively terminates spammer accounts.  you don't want to end
up in a blacklisted IP address range.

this pretty much means that you should ignore all of the larger ISPs and
choose a small-medium size ISP run by geeks with a clue (a good idea, anyway -
you'll get better support and more reliable service).

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>           (part time cyborg)