per-person SMTP client

We are looking for a /usr/sbin/sendmail provider which honours user
configuration. The reason is that we are moving to SASL for
authenticating mail sent from remote laptops and want each user to
use his or her own password to relay mail via the smarthost.

With that in place, I wonder how to handle email generated by all
the other accounts (e.g. root, or email generated by logcheck (as
user logcheck)).

Thanks,

`. `'`