Re: [OT] Debian package differences from upstream

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:40:21AM -0500, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> [ Is debian-mentors the proper list for this type of packaging question? ]

debian-mentors is meant for people who want to package software, I
think. It would probably be best to ask the package maintainer himself
(package_name@packages.debian.org)

> On my Woody box, courier-mta logs pop transactions with the tag
> "courierpop3login:".  The logs of other courier users (freebsd, gentoo for
> example) have the string "pop3d:"

As far as I remember, this string is set in the init.d script...

> It has been suggested that this is a change the Debian packager made.
>
> How can I verify this?

You need to find out whether the init.d script was supplied or changed
by the debian maintainer.

> I've done apt-get source and poked around a bit but could not tell where
> the Debian patches made to upstream live.

See the diff.gz file (BTW vim does nice highligting if you have syntax
on), it usually contains all the debian modifications to the upstream
tarball.

regards,

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org>             http://marcin.owsiany.pl/
GnuPG: 1024D/60F41216  FE67 DA2D 0ACA FC5E 3F75  D6F6 3A0D 8AA0 60F4 1216