Re: Suggestions for remote server monitoring

This one time, at band camp, Peter Clark said:
>     What software would people recommend for remotely monitoring a server? I'm
> not talking about intrustion detection and whatnot, just keeping an eye on
> things like CPU load, memory, bandwidth usage, etc. Bonus points if it uses
> something like RRD--graphs and charts are not just pretty eyecandy for me.

munin for local tests, nagios for the network ones.  There is some overlap
- munin can do network tests, but it seems they are best suited in those
realms, at least so far.  munin lacks the ability to directly alert an
admin of a problem (although it can alert via nagios).  nagios lacks
decent graphing tools, while munin makes pretty RRD-graphs.

HTH,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |