Re: Can we build a proper email cluster? (was: Re: Why is debian.org email so unreliable?)

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 01:05:26PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:29, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> wrote:
> > The third is to not use LDAP for lookups, but rather cache them all in a
> > local, exteremly fast DB (I hope we are already doing that!).  That alone
> > could get us a big speed increase on address resolution and rewriting,
> > depending on how the MTA is configured.
>
> I've run an ISP with more than 1,000,000 users with LDAP used for the
> back-end.

Yes, but that was probably with the LDAP servers and the mail servers
being in the same data center, or at least with a local replication.

This is not the case for Debian; and yes, we already do have local fast
DB caches (using libnss-db).

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks