Re: Can we build a proper email cluster? (was: Re: Why is debian.org email so unreliable?)

also sprach Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> [2004.10.12.2329 +0200]:
> We have a lot of resources, why can't we invest some of them into
> a small three or four machine cluster to handle all debian email
> (MLs included), and tune the entire thing for the ground up just
> for that? And use it *only* for that?

I agree. And I would offer my time to assist. I do have quite some
experience with mail administration.

> and tune it for spool work (IMHO a properly tunned ext3 would be
> best, as XFS has data integrity issues on crashes even if it is
> faster (and maybe the not-even-data=ordered XFS way of life IS the
> reason it is so fast). I don't know about ReiserFS 3, and ReiserFS
> 4 is too new to trust IMHO).

This does not belong here, but you misunderstand XFS. It does not
have data integrity issues on crashes; all other JFS's do. XFS takes
a somewhat rigorous approach, but it makes perfect sense. When there
is a crash, journaling filesystems primarily ensure the consistency
of the meta data. XFS does so perfectly. The problems you raise
relate to the infamous zeroing of files, I assume. Well, no
performant filesystem can ensure the consistency of the file
content, and rather than trying heuristically to reconnect sectors
with inodes after a crash, XFS zeroes all the data over which it is
unsure. I think this is important, or else you may one day find
/etc/passwd connected to the /etc/login.defs inode.

I say performant filesystems in the above because I do not see
ext3/journal as a performant filesystem. Nevertheless, it is a very
mature filesystem (already!) and works well for a mail spool, though
I suggest synchronous writes (chattr +S). That said, I find any
filesystem that requires a recheck of its metadata every X mounts to
be fundamentally flawed -- did the authors assume it would
accumulate inconsitencies, or what is the real reason here?

That said, I am using XFS effectively, successfully, and happily on
all the mail spools I administer. For critical servers, I mount it
with 'wsync', which effectively makes sure that I never lose mail,
but which also brings about a 250% performance impact (based on some
rudimentary tests, and assuming the worst case). I can
suggest XFS confidently.

> The third is to not use LDAP for lookups, but rather cache them
> all in a local, exteremly fast DB (I hope we are already doing
> that!).  That alone could get us a big speed increase on address
> resolution and rewriting, depending on how the MTA is configured.

The way we do it here is to use a local LDAP server which sync's
with the external one. Using an external LDAP is definitely a no-do
because of the SSL and TCP overheads.

I have had much success with using PostgreSQL, both for direct use
and to dump postfix Berkeley DB files from its data at regular
intervals when the user data does not change every couple of
minutes. Berkeley DB is definitely the fastest, IME.

> Others in here are surely even better experienced than me in this
> area, and I am told exim can be *extremely* fast for mail HUBs.
> Why can't we work to have an email infrastructure that can do 40
> messages/s sustained?

postfix does this here on a Dual Itanium 2GHz with 2 Gb of RAM and
an XFS filesystem, 2.6.8.1 and Debian sarge. The mail spool is on
a software RAID 1, the machine also does Amavis/F-prot mail scanning
and it rarely ever breaks a sweat. At peaks, we measure about 40
mails/second.

`. `'`