Re: Proliant DL380G3, cpqasm module and fan noise

Hello,

As a matter of comparison:

Dirk Ruediger a écrit :
Now I'm trying to make this box a "silent" one. I used the kernel from
http://people.iirc.at/moswald/linux/debian/kernel-packages/proliant_dl380g03/2.4.26/
> and recompiled it to enable module support.
> After that i installed kernel modules cpqasm.o and cpqevt.o (and others)
> using the script from http://www.sk-tech.net/support/HPrpm2deb.sh.html

On my ML350 G3, I use backports.org 's kernel-image-2.4.27-1-686-smp
I got the according kernel-headers-2.4.27-1-686-smp and I ran HPrpm2deb.sh.

# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
cpqasm                294848   0  (unused)
cpqevt                  7232   0  [cpqasm]

I have :

radar:~# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
cpqasm                314880   2
cpqevt                  7200   2  [cpqasm]

# cat /proc/cpqfan
ID     TYPE        LOCATION      STATUS  REDUNDANT FAN SPEED

I have :

radar:~# cat /proc/cpqfan
ID     TYPE        LOCATION      STATUS  REDUNDANT FAN SPEED
 1  Auto. Speed  Processor Zone  Nominal    N/A     Automatic
 2  Auto. Speed  I/O Zone        Nominal    N/A     Automatic

Do I have to load/enable other modules  or functionality in kernel or RBSU?

Well, I don't think so. Feel free to contact me in private (we should publish
the solution on the list) to compare our two installations.

How can I control the fans, not "just" monitor them?

I don't know if you can actually monitor them. Perhaps with
SNMP, but I am just a newbie with those HP Proliant servers
(and in general :-) ).

I think the ASIC on the motherboard that controls the health has
the control of the fans speed according to the temperatures. Also,
there's a little switch to choose the position : upright tower
(vertical) or rack (horizontal). I think that the cooperation of
the two fans for proper air flow isn't the same on both positions.
This leads me to say that probably you definitely not have the
hand on the fan speed.

The proper loading of the cpqasm module should calm down you fans.

HTH and cheers,

--
Emmanuel Halbwachs              Labo. de Photonique et Nanostructures
tel      : (+33)1 69 63 61 34                             CNRS UPR 20