Re: Apache 1.3 mass virtual hosting recipe

El Miércoles 22 Septiembre 2004 12:12, Fraser Campbell escribió:
> On September 22, 2004 03:04 am, Johann Botha wrote:
> > running a script from mod_rewrite was not reliable, sometimes it just did
> > not work... restart apache and it worked again. maybe it was just the
> > version I used.
>
> Hmm, I don't like the sounds of that.  Hopefully it was just the version
> you used.  Or a problem with the script talking to LDAP, since my script
> (at least for now) is self-contained I hope I don't run into issues.  If my
> solution proves problematic I will report back.
>
> > 2) I wanted to enable / disable things like PHPengine for the virtual
> >    host based on LDAP settings.
>
> You could do it in the script, if file extension is .php then rewrite the
> request to a "cannot execute" message.  Alternatively (what I had planned
> to do) is just disable the engine in directories where I don't want it
> (that would be using config files), something like this is supposed to
> work:
>
>     <Directory /var/www/net/wehave>
>         php_admin_flag engine off
>     </Directory>

I wonder how running a script inside a mod_rewrite rule is better that
defining a new NameVirtualHost directive, moreover taking into account that
that rewriting rule will run the script EVERY TIME a request reach the
server, I hope you don't have high volume traffict to that server or you will
go into troubles.

I better follow this way ...

httpd.conf (apache 1.3.X, apache 2.X doit automaticatly)
Include /etc/apache/domains.d

then simple create the <domain>.conf file from a template for example, and
drop it inside /etc/apached/domains.d a simple /etc/init.d/apache reload and
thats all, no need to check on every request to were should I get the files.