Re: moving DNS

Hi Tinus,

Am Mi, den 22.09.2004 schrieb Tinus Nijmeijers um 10:04:
> just wanted to run this by some people more knowledgeable than myself.
> please tell me if I'm wrong.
>
> I need to move the data/sites/databases/mail from one hosting machine
> (OLD) to another (NEW).
>
> I can have OLD online for as long as needed.
>
> OLD is also dns0.domain.net.
>
> to move to NEW I was thinking this:
>
> -move data from OLD to NEW.
> -proxy all web-requests( rinetd), pop (rinetd), ftp (ftp-proxy) and smtp
> (postfix transport) to OLD and forward to NEW

that'll use quite an amount of traffic which you may or may not want.

> -at the registrar: change the IP of dns0.domain.net to the IP of NEW

start right with this one and lower the TTL, then wait till the TTL has
once expired so you can be sure that all DNS clients should have updated
to the new TTL. Now switch the DNS over to the NEW server and increase
the TTL back to normal. You can now safely proxy/forward old requests
which however should be minimal.

Btw. there was a thread on this back a month or so on this mailinglist.

--
Best regards,
 Kilian