Re: Defining ISP?

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 11:35:30AM -0400, Darrel O'Pry wrote:
> Meta-Packages that reflect my deployments would include:
>
>    Qmail-MX-scanner (options for NFS, local, and qmtp delivery)
> 	(vpopmail, djbdns, qmail-scr, qmail-scanner, spamassassin,
>    ClamAV)
> [...]
>    DNS-primary   (djbdns, VegaDNS, mysql)
>    DNS-secondary (djbdns)

both qmail and djbdns are non-free and could never be part of a debian-isp
meta package.

on a more general note, this highlights exactly why such a meta-package
wouldn't be very useful anyway.  there are many alternative packages which
provide the essential ISP services (mail, web, dns, database server, etc), and
everyone has their own preferences, requirements and configuration
peculiarities.  making a one-size-fits-all meta-package just isn't going to
work.

in any case, it isn't needed.  debian is already the perfect ISP distribution.
just install the base and then apt-get install whatever server packages you
want for the particular server you are building.  pretty nearly every free
software program that provides ISP-related services is available as a debian
package.

anyone who doesn't know what packages they want to use really shouldn't be
setting up ISP servers anyway.  at minimum, they should spend some time getting
familiar with the various alternatives so they can make a decision before going
online.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

The next time you vote, remember that "Regime change begins at home"