Re: Defining ISP?

Comments in line

Darrel O'Pry wrote:

Well I guess I'll try to start a discussion about what would be needed
for an ISP distribution, and present a basic primer to how I run my
systems as an example of needs or things to keep in mind developing an
ISP distribution that can meet a wide variety of needs.

I'm agree with you, a distro with solely what is needed to run a general
purpose ISP.

I think it might be easier to develop and maintain ISP specific
meta-packages, as Ben Lisle suggested? Would he be willing to put his
existing meta-packages on the open market for community review and
maintenance?

Meta-Packages that reflect my deployments would include:

The list of packages to be included should be disussion matter. In
example some people love postfix while i rather like exim, but the
global idea is, at least for me, include in the distro 2 programs for
each need in order to the sysadmin decide which one he will use:

  - web server: apache, minihttpd
  - mta: exim, postfix, qmail
  - imap/pop3: qpopper, courier, cyrus
  - database: mysql, postgress
  - radius: freeraidus, radiator
  - etc...

One advantage of an ISP specific branch of Debian may be a quicker
release cycle since, hopefully, it will depend on fewer packages, and
the bug squashing will be easier. The slow release cycle has been the
biggest problem for me as a systems administrator. It is difficult to
keep your product line up to date and services up to date, when you are
working with outdated packages. I finally gained enough trust in testing
and moved over most of my production servers which has alleviated this
problem, but I expect I will have it again in a year or two.

A quick release in not as important as mantain your distro secure and
fault tolerant. However, again i'm agree that is better to patch a small
package distro than a general purpose distro with thousands of packages.

Other expectations I would have of an ISP friendly distribution of
debian would be a cluster friendly file system layout, and a set of
shell scripts for managing users, ftp, and web accounts. Currently I use a layout along the lines of /var/www/domains/a/adomain.com/,
/var/www/usersite/u/username/,  /var/media/qt/a/auser,
/var/media/real/a/user

Use LVM or help admin use it, ok! But inject script to manipulate users
or accounts is not a good idea. For example in my case i use a different
organization than your, organization that as you i love and i don't want
 to be forced to change it:

/export/virt-isp/TLD/DOMAIN/htdocs/SUBDOMAINS

/export/virt-isp/org/debian/htdocs/www/*

With symlinks from the users home directory ~/domains/adomain.com ->
domains owned by user, ~/public_html->usersite, ~/media/real/ -> real
server content dirs, ~media/Darwin/ -> Darwin content dirs

Due to my config i only use 1 symlink for a directory at the same level
in the directory structure that 'htdocs' named 'secure' which
is intended to be used for SSL content.

/export/virt-isp/org/debian/secure

               +----->    /export/virt-isp/org/debian/htdocs/secure

I only have to provide shell access on particular servers and users can
manage data for all of their services via nfs or your shared file system
of choice. I do not have a central authentication architecture in place,
currently, just keep uids/permissions etc in line across servers via
shell scripts && ssh). I haven't clustered anything besides my mail
services yet(still trying to figure out how to best implement
everything), but I am currently looking into LVS, and looking for a good
low-budget filer/nfs setup to start-with.

This is not the moment in fact but i recommend you use a radius for centlam management (there are pam modules for radius authentication named pam_radius) and at least a RAID device or RAID software because your business deppendens on the reliability you can offer. LVS will come then, and beliveme... LVS is not the panacea.

I think it is something to keep in mind for allowing ISPs to have an
easy expansion path to meet growth.
I'm sure there are people out there with better method of implementing
this, or maybe better ideas about going about this kind of work, but
this seems to work pretty well for my small ISP, but I'm relatively in
experienced at this job and kind of hack it together as I go to in
attempts to keep legacy customers happy, provide the widest possible
base of services and options, keep up with current applications, and
make an attempt at maintaining the security of my network. Any feedback,
ideas, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Same feeling. :)

.darrel.

BR,

jonathan