Re: status of VLAN support in Debian/Linux in general

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, Andreas John wrote:

> Hi!
>
> 1.) AT8024 is good choice - but it comes without 1000BaseTX interface!
> (netgear I don't know).
yes, it does have ... this is the reason i wish to buy it than another
8024 !
> 2.) Reading you description I assume that you have at the time
>    a.) "network one", connected via netgear switch
>    b.) "network two", connected via AT switch
>    c.) AT Switch connect via one UTP to netgear.
>    (This explains your "3 cable setup" if the switches and servers are
>    distributed to 2 rooms)
>     Both Servers have one NIC per "network X".

No, i have in room 1 the servers and 2 switches, the AT and another
unmanaged one for network 2,
in room 2 I have some workstations and 2 swithces, one for each network.
The two networks sees each other only thgrouht the server2 configured as a
fw/router.
Since i need more bandwidth for network two, i would try to move there the
8024, buying a new switch for server room, trunking it toigether, so when
there are more WS working on room 2 these can connect to the servers
(there are 7, i mentioned the only two ones that need to be directly
connected to both networks) on room 1 using also the cable used for
network one (Incidentally: peak time usage for the twqo networks are
luckyli different !).
[I do not want to spend money for more cables since room 2 will be
abandoned in april ... while a new switch could be kept as spare, an
additional cable to an abandoned room would not be justified)