Re: Cloning disks with dd and netcat

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 04:09:04PM +0200, Volker Tanger wrote:
>Boot in text mode ("knoppix 2") or Ctrl-Alt-1 from X11 into console. Try
>again then.

yes knoppix 2 will save time, you can "su -" from x as well.

your problem though is with the fstab knoppix creates, wait you're not
mounting the partition, you're dding it. trust me it's the fstab. change
the options to something you are familiar with, like "defaults" and
you'll be able to write the mbr and partitions.

I don't think your system will work though. because you are writing the
mbr and the partition table with the fs image, you would have to have
the _exact_ same disk which is less common then you may expect.

I use knoppix to make a cpio image of the 'root filesystem' I'll be
imaging. (eg mounted / /usr /home and /var). Then with another script
under knoppix I partition the disk per the application, wget the cpio
with http/https (maybe with passwd) to stdout and unzip the cpio
image to the filesystem.  Do a similar procedure to put the right
kernel/modules on the target, complete with vmlinuz simlink. and run a
bootloader.

It is a time consuming to get setup but the process is designed to be
portable, fast and maintainable. On a fast network the image can be done
in 5 to 15 minutes.

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george@galis.org