Re: q re transferring mysql db from redhat to debian

On July 27, 2004 03:58 am, Henrik Heil wrote:

> > the reason why i don't want to do the database transfer using data
> > generated by mysqldump is because i want all the auto-generated
> > record_ids to stay the same in the new system.
>
> The record_ids will stay the same with mysqldump.
> What makes you think they will not?

I have seen problems with this.  The existing auto-incremented fields were
just fine but new ones were a little bit off.  In a normal mysqldb if you
have a single record with id 1 and delete it then add another record the new
record will get id 2 (not filling in the missing 1).  I've seen a case that
after a mysqldump and restore the new records did not honour have that
behaviour, "missing" ids were reused.  I'm sure that I did something wrong
with the dump but in that case it was not important so I didn't research it
further.
--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/