Re: hardware/optimizations for a download-webserver

This one time, at band camp, Michelle Konzack said:

> >> With a 100 MBit NIC you can have a maximum of 7 MByte/sec
> >
> >What makes you think so?
> >
> >Other people get >10MB/s.  I've benchmarked some of my machines at 9MB/s.
>
> I do not belive it !
>
> Maybe with UDP but not TCP it is not possibel from the protocol.
> I have high performanc NIC's and some servers which are killer
> but never gotten more as 7,4 MByte/second
>
> How do you Benchmark ?
> Two computers with 2 feet cross-over cable ?
>
> Maybe you will have zero errors, but in real it does not work.

(create large file)
steve@hadrian:~$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=public_html/large_file bs=1024 count=50000
50000+0 records in
50000+0 records out

(get large file)
steve@gashuffer:~$ wget www.lobefin.net/~steve/large_file
[...]
22:46:09 (9.61 MB/s) - `large_file' saved [51200000/51200000]

Of course, for reasonable sized files (where reasonable is <10MB),
I get transfer speeds closer to 11MB/s.  YMMV, but it is not a fault
of the tcp protocol.  Switched 10/100 connection here.  Of course real
internet travel adds some latency, but that's not the point - the NIC
is not the bottleneck, bandwidth is in the OP's question.

|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |