Re: debian on HP proliant

On Sun, 2004-04-18 at 02:22, Nathan Eric Norman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 12:25:00PM -0400, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> >
> > > The installer from woody has built-in support for the cciss controller
> > > on at least the Proliant DL 580 G2.
> >
> > > It works smoothly, but lacks support for the default installed 3com
> > > gig-ethernet adapter (tg3 driver), once installed,
> >
> > The network installer for sarge detects the t3 gig-ethernet adaptor
> > automagically. --We're moving to Sarge now.
>
> This is true, but d-i doesn't support booting off the SmartArray
> because the cciss driver is a module.  I already installed onto a
> DL360, but couldn't install a bootblock.

I thought the point of initrd was that everything didn't need to be
compiled into the kernel, not even the root device. I suspect tweaking
the initrd image is all that would be required for a stock kernel to
boot. Add the module to /etc/mkinitrd/modules and re-build the initrd
image. Installing a standard kernel package should build the initrd
image for you.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/