Re: RaiserFS via NFS

Hello All!

Please please note that the filesystem's name in question is not r_a_iserFS, but r_e_iserFS. It was given that name by it's inventor Hans Reiser. ReiserFS as I stated before does not "raise" anything (except maybe the usable disk space when working with many large files).

Concerning the NFS question: There are several services out that do their error-correction by themselves and don't rely on tcp's error correction. E.G. error correction for an audio stream maybe to drop a paket without doing harm to the listening quality.

I do not know if NFS has an internal error correction but I heavily assume it. Every thing else would make absolutely no sense. NFS will have request pakets again if the sequence numbers go out of sync. Maybe it can do that more efficient than TCP by reconstruction of lost pakets/data via checksum (science-fiction ?) Using TCP has advantages if you use IntServ instead of DiffServ QoS or do firewalling with NFS.

Maybe there was an "bad LAN" Michelle's case and NFS had to re-request mayn pakets?

Best Regards,
J.