Re: debian on HP proliant

Am Mi, den 14.04.2004 schrieb Christopher Sharp um 21:36:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:11:26 +0100, Markus Oswald <moswald@iirc.at> wrote:
>
> >Having said that, the ProLiant ML330 come with an ATA-RAID which is
> >based on an LSI chipset (MegaIDE) which is not supported by Debian - the
> >only driver available is a half GNU, half closed-source driver.
> >Furthermore the drives attached to those IDE-Ports are not accessible as
> >"normal" IDE devices (i.e. /dev/hda) so you basically get a machine
> >without any usable IDE interface except for one which is attached to the
> >CD-ROM.
> >If you buy one of these machines you'll either have to use a model with
> >SCSI controller or install an extra IDE-controller.
>
> I got this booting in a lab with the on-board ATA-RAID using a bf2.4 kernel some
> weeks ago (February).  I was using an HP DL320 server.  The only issue with the
> bf2.4 kernel was requiring a net module for the NIC which I managed to
> succesfully extracate from the rpm and insmod.

Which chipset is being used on current DL320G3 machines? Most Promise
chipsets work just fine with Woody. The ML330 uses another chipset
without OSS drivers...

BTW: If the NIC is a Broadcom bcm57xx (as in most newer ProLiant I've
seen) - you can use the drivers from Broadcom and compile them against
2.4.18-bf24 or grab the binaries from my homepage:
http://people.iirc.at/moswald/linux/bf24_modules/bcm5700/
(Note: you'll need the bcm5700.o NOT the tg3.o. Kernels from 2.4.19
upwards include tg3.o which will work with the bcm57xx chipset)

> I'm now trying to do the same using the new debian-installer and testing
> distribution but notice that there's no megaide.o module/driver in the new
> three-floppy testing distribution.  I've got the shim source for the driver from
> LSI but having compiled it on another 2.4.25 testing box and copied it onto a
> floppy the module is refusing to insmod on my debian-installer box.

As I already said: megaide.o includes proprietary code and therefore
cannot be included within Debian or the stock kernel. You'll have to
compile it yourself and put it on a boot floppy just as Lucas Albers
described it a few days ago.
Furthermore a module compiled against 2.4.25 wont work with 2.4.18!

> Before I start building a custom debian-installer rescue floppy with a
> customised kernel including this module I wondered if anyone knew of a module
> floppy that might have a working LSI ATA-RAID kernel module on it.

I doubt LSI will allow a binary redistribution of their (partly
proprietary) drivers...

best regards,
 Markus
--
Markus Oswald <moswald@iirc.at>  \ Unix and Network Administration
Graz, AUSTRIA                     \ High Availability / Cluster