Re: bandwidth

Hi!

Wooohhh ... I assume 100Meg is the peak due to 100BaseTX cableing.
Here in Germany you would have to differenciate between the local loop and the traffic. The loop itself often more expensive than the traffic. If you divide the price of a e3/t3 by 100 (users) you would probably go cheaper with *DSL of your local Telco per user, even if you "forget" about the price of t3 linecards/router.

If there is not much (no?) peer to peer i would have said 2 Meg are a little less, but 2*2 Meg bundeled _could_ be enough for "surfing". If you have some internet radio listeners and some file up/download go up to 10 Megbit. If your telco offers 10 Meg local loop (most times crippled e3's), I would tend to take that "flat", or if money is a big concern check for adsl 8meg/2meg.

Rgds,
Andreas

Jeremy D. May wrote:
personaly i would see how much you use now and base it on that. i would
say no less then a burstable DS3(T3/E3), idealy i would personaly perfer
to drop a FE line (about 100 megs) i know most in the US will let you run
a burstable Fe using only like 60 megs of it for a reasonable price.

--jeremy

Hi,
I live in a building which has 96 apartments, all of them wired in a LAN.
We have contracted an isp that connects our LAN to the internet with a
radio link. As our contract is going to expire soon, and I know the new
contract will be with higher prices, I'll try to propose a new locally
administered solution to my neighbours, that will be a direct link
to a local backbone, with our own local firewall/bandwidth sharing
machine.
My question is how much bandwidth should I ask for with my local
backbone to provide such universe of almost 96 home computers with a
reasonable internet access service?
Thanks,

--
Carlos