Re: apache uses 100 % cpu

On Sat, 2004-02-28 at 17:42, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:14, Timo Veith <timo.veith@gmx.de> wrote:
> > today I noticed that 2 apache procs are using all cpu. ps shows them like
>
> One thing I have done in the past to deal with such problems is to put
> "ulimit -t 600" in the start script for apache.  Then when apache processes
> got into infinite loops they would only do so for a maximum of 10 mins.  On a
> two-processor machine that worked fairly well as the problem didn't occur
> enough to have both processors running looping apache's.
>
> When I saw the problem it was a webmail system running IMP.  Something related
> to PHP 4.x was causing the problem.  I never bothered tracking that down as I
> had too many other problems to deal with.

We dumped PHP/Perl webmail apps for this reason. Much happier and our
dual CPU boxes are purring like happy kittens again. We also off loaded
anti-spam & anti-virus protection save for a single instance of clamd.

So all this means apache is a happy camper as well.

Dee

--
W.D.McKinney <dee@akwireless.net>