Re: qmail or postfix? (was: RE: What is the best mailling list manager for qmail and Domain Tech. Control ?)

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:34:52PM +0100, Bj?rnar Bj?rgum Larsen wrote:
> I am in the process of choosing between postfix and qmail for our mail relays. I've not decided yet. However, I am surprised by the fact that many people who prefer postfix, also enjoy posting unqualified[0] statements[1][2][3] about qmail.
>
> If anyone have properly grounded views, please share!

I used qmail for several years.  One reason I dismissed it from
my systems was its source code, which I regarded incoprehensive.
For me, it meant whenever found myself in trouble I could not
look at the source and trace down the problem, could not fix
things I considered bugs and it was impossible to add new or
to complete features I missed.  DJB's taste to reinvent
everything (including libc functions) was also disturbing.

There are many supplementary patches to qmail; I suspect the
number of machines running the virgin qmail is relatively low.
As a consequence, in case you wished to achieve anything
non-trivial you need to patch the source with code that's
quality is unknown.

Since the license prohibits distributing binary packages built
from modified source, you must rely on other methods of
installation. (On the other hand, once done, it's done for ever;
see the next point).

The most recent version (1.03) was released in the middle of 1998.
(Well, at least you won't have frequent head-ache due to new
releases :)

bit,
adam

--
Am I a cleric?     | 1024D/37B8D989
Or maybe a sinner? | 954B 998A E5F5 BA2A 3622