Re: qmail or postfix? (was: RE: What is the best mailling list manager for qmail and Domain Tech. Control ?)

[no cc:s necessary, thanks]
Bidder wrote:

> > I guess the document was written years ago, when postfix did indeed lack
> > *some* of the features people did expect (one of them being the ability
> > to reject mail instead of bounce it ;-)
>
> actually, it is qmail and not postfix that can't 5xx reject mail.  qmail
> has to accept and bounce it.    postfix has always been able to reject
> unwanted mail during the SMTP session (although the relay_recipient_maps
> option is a relatively recent addition for rejecting unknown relay
> recipient addresses).

Hmm. Weren't there some early postifx 1.x releases who did by default bounce
on unknown users? Or was it something different? I seem to dimly remember
some discussions about the possibility to bounce directly in the SMTP dialog
instead of bouncing under some circumstances.

Anyway, the issue is of purely historic interest - today's postfix does of
course reject mail quite early in most, if not all, cases where this is
possible.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Do you understand now why we attacked Iraq?  Because war is good for the
economy, which means war is good for America.   Also, since God is on