Re: protecting mail server from DOS

Words by Lucas Albers [Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 12:25:17AM -0700]:
> Just recently I had my mail server swamped by a single virus machine that
> kept resending a virus message, ignoring my 5xx rejection code.
>
> Is it possbile to block this via an iptables smtp max connection throttle
> code?
>
> How do you handle this?
> Via iptables?, or via qmail/postfix/exim/sendmail internal coding?

Null route 'em. That will keep them busy for quite a long time.

> Does anyone else encounter this problem on a regular basis?

No. And I find it hard that a client machine can so easily disturb your
service.

> How do you solve this?

null route.

--
Jose Celestino | http://xpto.org/~japc/files/japc-pgpkey.asc
"...the law, cold and aloof by its very nature, has no access to