Re: configuring postfix to reject messages to non-existing user account

On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 04:38:58PM +0000, Shri Shrikumar wrote:
> I have a postfix installation and it accepts all email to specified domains
> regardless of the user part. This seems to pose a security hole in sending
> spam / viruses.
>
> Say someone sends an email to the server with the from of "joe@somewhere.com"
> and the to of "nonexistentuser@mydomain.com", postfix accepts this email
> although there is not local account for nonexistentuser@mydomain.com. It then
> tries to bounce the message back including the full message and any
> attachments.
>
> Postfix is configured with virtual domains retrieved from an sql database.
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting postfix to reject
> messages for non-existent local accounts instead of just bouncing it?

look at the local_recipient_maps and/or relay_recipient_maps options in main.cf.

see also /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples/sample-smtpd.cf.gz:

# REJECTING MAIL FOR UNKNOWN LOCAL USERS
#
# The local_recipient_maps parameter specifies optional lookup tables
# with all names or addresses of users that are local with respect
# to $mydestination and $inet_interfaces.
#
# If this parameter is defined, then the SMTP server will reject
# mail for unknown local users. This parameter is defined by default.
#
# To turn off local recipient checking in the SMTP server, specify
# local_recipient_maps = (i.e. empty).
#
# The default setting assumes that you use the default Postfix local
# delivery agent for local delivery. You need to update the
# local_recipient_maps setting if:
#
# - You define $mydestination domain recipients in files other than
#   /etc/passwd, /etc/aliases, or the $virtual_alias_maps files.
#   For example, you define $mydestination domain recipients in
#   the $virtual_mailbox_maps files.
#
# - You redefine the local delivery agent in master.cf.
#
# - You redefine the "local_transport" setting in main.cf.
#
# - You use the "luser_relay", "mailbox_transport", or "fallback_transport"
#   feature of the Postfix local delivery agent (see sample-local.cf).
#
# Details are described in the LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README file.
#
# Beware: if the Postfix SMTP server runs chrooted, you probably have
# to access the passwd file via the proxymap service, in order to
# overcome chroot restrictions. The alternative, having a copy of
# the system passwd file in the chroot jail is just not practical.
#
# The right-hand side of the lookup tables is conveniently ignored.
# In the left-hand side, specify a bare username, an @domain.tld
# wild-card, or specify a user@domain.tld address.
#
#local_recipient_maps =
#local_recipient_maps = unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

# REJECTING UNKNOWN RELAY USERS
#
# The relay_recipient_maps parameter specifies optional lookup tables
# with all addresses in the domains that match $relay_domains.
#
# If this parameter is defined, then the SMTP server will reject
# mail for unknown relay users. This feature is off by default.
#
# The right-hand side of the lookup tables is conveniently ignored.
# In the left-hand side, specify an @domain.tld wild-card, or specify
# a user@domain.tld address.
#
#relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients

craig