Re: mail-bombing

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, Marek Podmaka wrote:

 So is there any solution for this? We can't use safe_mode in php,
 it's too restrictive for most customers. We use postfix (default
 version in woody)

A couple of thoughts:

1. Transparently proxy SMTP to your an MTA you control, which limits the number of simultaneous SMTP connections that it will accept.

2. Use a firewall (like netfilter, aka iptables) to rate limit outgoing smtp connections.

You could also put in some alerts if some of these threaholds are exceeded.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.
Senior Technical Consultant, OpenTrend Solutions Ltd.