Re: blacklists

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 15:00, Russell Coker wrote:

> I agree that we don't want to be nice to spammers.  But there is also
> the issue of being nice in the case of false-positives.

I think, that a permanent error is the best response for a
false-positive.

The sender will then receive a bounce message and he will know that his
communication has not been received by the other party. He can then
make another plan - like sending a fax or changing ISP.

If you give a temporary error, it will depend on the rules in the mail
server one-hop before the one generating the false positive on when the
sender will get a bounce or a warning - this could take hours or even
days.

The server where the mail gets queued is likely to be an outgoing relay
server for a large ISP. The sender would have no access to such a
server and little opportunity to talk to the persons responsible for
managing it so he would have a tricky job establishing what happened to
the mail.

Support staff's nightmare:

"I sent an e-mail but it just never arrived ...(long story about how
important that particular message was)..."
"Did you get a bounce or an error message?"
"No, the mail just vanished - what are you going to do to fix your
servers!"

Regards

Ian

--