Re: CMS

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 09:20:33AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:46:47AM -0500, Ross, Chris wrote:
> >  I am looking for a web content management system to allow K12
> > teachers and possibly students to easily maintain personal or project
> > web space. There are a lot of products out there but most of them are
> > not set up to allow access to one area and not the entire site. This
> > does not have to scale too big. A few thousand user sites max. ( We
> > have no idea what the user load will be since we only have 400 to 500
> > users now and most don't keep their sites up to date. )
> >
> > Criteria:
> >
> > 1. Access control that would allow someone access to areas that they
> > have been allowed to work and no other area.
> >
> > 2. Web browser accessible. GUI editor.
> >
> > 3. EASY to use for non technical folks!
> >
> > 4. Little modification needed.

Plone.

It can be tricky to configure if you want to heavily customise it. It
can also be a bit slow for a heavily hammered site (squid frontends
recommended for very buisy sites). But it probably matches the above
requirements as close as you can get.

I believe there have even been K12 bootable CD's created for exactly
this application.

Donovan Baarda                http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/