Re: Debian for ISP

This one time, at band camp, Wouter Verhelst said:
> Op di, 16-11-2004 te 19:28 +0100, schreef David Schmitt:
> > On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 09:15:24AM -0700, Omar wrote:
> > > Also I want to ask if there is a way that I can check the user Authentication?
> > > Or get a list of users and their level? admin, regular user and so on.  I believe
> > > that the previous admin used LDAP, is there a way I can look into the LDAP
> > > database and find out the users and their levels?
> >
> > Try taking a look at getent. Calling "getent passwd" gives you a list of
> > system users.
> >
> > For lowlevel access to the ldap slapcat is probably the easiest.
>
> except that slapcat wants you to shut down the slapd for safe operation.
> You probably want ldapsearch instead.

It's not so much that you need to shut down slapd, as that you want to
make sure that slapd is not doing _write_ operations, or you'll get
inconsistent data.  Since the vast majority of LDAP operations are read
only, slapcat is generally fine.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |