apt-cacher transition from apache to apache2

[sent this to debian-user, got no suggestions - I hope this is not too
OT on this list]

On a sarge system, I was using apt-cacher with apache. No problems
there. Once I replaced apache with apache2, apt-cacher works but no
longer accepts any configuration changes. I.e.
changing /etc/apt-cacher/apt-cacher.conf and then reloading/restarting
apache2 does not honor the changes.

I think it has something to do with the /etc/apt-cacher/apache.conf
snippet which I need to install somewhere, but I have no idea where.

I checked what bug #250599 says about apache2, and my link does exist:

helios:/etc/apache2/mods-enabled# ls -l cgi.load
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 36 Oct 21 14:52 cgi.load
-> /etc/apache2/mods-available/cgi.load
helios:/etc/apache2/mods-enabled#

Could anyone suggest a fix?

Thanks