Re: initrd in Debian kernel-image

> the basic rule of thumb is: "if i'm likely to need it to boot or if it's
> essential for what the machine is supposed to do, then it gets compiled
in to
> the kernel.  otherwise as a module".
>
> craig

Agree completely. In or case, we also compile in the 3ware RAID stuff, a
few common NIC drivers like the cheapo NE2000 or similar so we can drop in
a rubbish card if the Intel or 3com cards fail. In my experience, putting
essentials built-into the kernel is wise, as they tend to have much less
chance of fcsking up than modules. YMMV.