Re: help with BIND SRV

On Friday 08 October 2004 15:01, Nate Duehr wrote:

> I was talking about sites that have "done it wrong" (my opinion, and
> probably yours too - it's just not right...) so to speak, and are
> forcing port 53 traffic to different places than it was intended to go
> originally.

So?  If DNS requests are all redirected to a valid DNS server how would that
result in bogus TTLs?

> "Proxying" would be the best phrase I could call it.  Some commercial
> active firewall implementations do something similar.

Perhaps you can point me at a DNS server that when queried for a
non-authoritative answer does not lower TTL (within TTL period) on subsequent
requests?

If the problem that you describes does exist then it must be very rare, or
really old and broken software.  I still hear about people running their
email system through mailgate on Windows 98 with dialup, at a certain point
you just have to tell those people to get with the program.

--
Fraser Campbell <fraser@wehave.net>                 http://www.wehave.net/