help with BIND SRV

Hey all,

I'm trying to setup bind with SRV records and I'm having a some
trouble.. I've tried bind 9.2.3, as well as 9.3 and still no luck. I've
read RFC2782, and everything looks right, but when i try to resolve the
entry i setup by either connecting to the port / service, it comes back
with a blank entry:

server# host ftp3.domain.net
server# telnet ftp3.domain.net 21
telnet: could not resolve ftp3.domain.net/21: No address associated with
hostname
server#

I've tried changing around the format of the RR, but nothing seems to
have an effect..

here's an example of my current setup:

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 86400
domain.net.      IN      SOA    ns1.domain.net. root.domain.net. (
                            2004082004  ; serial
                                    3h  ; refresh
                                    1h  ; retry
                                    4w  ; expire
                                    1w  ; min
                                     )
                        NS      ns1.domain.net.
                        NS      ns2.domain.net.
                        NS      ns3.domain.net.

                        A       12.123.12.15

$ORIGIN domain.net.
ns1             A       12.123.12.15
ns2             A       12.123.12.14
ns3             A       12.123.12.5

host1           A       12.123.12.15
ftp             CNAME   host1
ftp2            A       12.123.12.14

_ftp._tcp.ftp3    SRV        1       0       21      ftp
_ftp._tcp.ftp3    SRV        2       0       21      ftp2

any help appreciated,
~august