Re: Defining ISP?

Relecture...
Back on earth.

Let us say things are started!
There will be a lot of lists of "packages", some will be "prefered" and
others "necessary" to build an "ideal distributions". Packages...
What will be obvious is the impossibility to satisfy every preferences and
desiderata; some difficult choices will have to be done. Packages will be
kept and others will have to go...
If we treat this subject this way, in the best of cases, what will happen
will be fragmentation. In the worst, we will forget what could have been an
interesting question.

By using the magic Debian formula, I mean Base+dpkg, everyone can build
his/her distribution. A distribution containing the necessary and prefered
packages and composing the "ideal distribution" Perfectly adapted and
exactly responding to his/her actual needs. This works well and doesn't need
to be changed.
Realising a "beautiful" distribution is part of personal developpement,
imposing it is...is...well, can't find the right word.
So, then, what is the problem?

"Defining ISP" in Debian is more thinking the ISP situation widely and
ahead, trying to create the atmosphere that will permit to see how this
branch is evoluting and help to adapt to this evolution.
Building a different ISP branch (a distribution with simpler words...but
it's not so simple in fact) will not be the final purpose then, it could
just be one of the multiple consequences of a process.
Another consequence could be also the way basic ISP knowledge could be
transmitted. Where is the place where knowledge about ISP tasks is given to
"newbies"?
"Newbie", a word generally whispered in a despising tone and defining these
poor subjects that trigger always by their questions the terrible RTFM!!!
Well, another week end again. This time it will be "Farfalle et thon aux
oignons" and two elegant bottles of Chablis...Is there anyone interested in
the recipe? The tunafish accompagned with oignons is delicious.

Knowldge gives wisdom, shared knowledge gives freedom...

shift