Re: Defining ISP?

On 2004-09-14 shift wrote:
> Thinking maybe of a an ISP specific install. Lighter and even more
> secure. A minimalistic distribution...

Most ISP will probably have different servers for the different services and on each of them they will start with a secure base install with as few software installed as possible and then just install apache/postfix/proftpd whatever they need and customize it.

I don't see a big bonus in a special ISP distribution. A better integration of iptables firewalls, vlans or traffic shapers would be nice but that's nothing ISP specific.

bye,

-christian-

P.S.: pbuilder is a nice tool to build minimal installations that you       can just untar onto a new harddisk