Re: status of VLAN support in Debian/Linux in general

Hi!

1.) AT8024 is good choice - but it comes without 1000BaseTX interface!
(netgear I don't know). Keeo in mind that you may also "trunk" the two existring NIC in the servers to the switchs (yes, trunking is an IEEE protocol). You would have 200Mbit (== 400Mbit FDX) per server even without gigabit NICs. My results with trunking were not as good as with VLAN, but I didn't spend more than 1 h to get it working (There was a problem with VLANs through a trunk AFAIR. BTW: Could anyone point out what happens in practice when one cable/port in the trunk dies? Is trunking redundant? hot failover?)

2.) Reading you description I assume that you have at the time
  a.) "network one", connected via netgear switch
  b.) "network two", connected via AT switch
  c.) AT Switch connect via one UTP to netgear.
  (This explains your "3 cable setup" if the switches and servers are
  distributed to 2 rooms)

   Both Servers have one NIC per "network X".

   If you change to the new setup you will lose redundancy!
   (if this is not the question you setup will be fine)

Rgds,
j.

Leonardo Boselli wrote:
Il 11 Sep 2004 alle 21:30 Andreas John immise in rete

1.) VLAN is an IEEE Standard. (802.1q).
But there are two kind of VLAN: tagged VLAN and untagged ones.
 b.) The tagged one are 802.1q. This is what you are looking for. All

Just an information:
i will have a netgear 526T and a AT 8024 ....
my servers have one a NIC driven by e1000 module, the other by 8139too . Currently they have two nic each, one with 2 addresses and one with other two, connected phisically to two different networks.
I would plan to use only one NIC for each server, conencted to the 526.
The two switches would be connected usink trunk option by 3 double pairs (3 UTP lines) . In each of the switches 6 ports would be used for the "first" subnet, the others 14 for the second. Is this feasible, and viable (The rationale is theat i have available only 6 pairs throught the two rooms, and is inconvenent to add more on a short term. Trunking the two subnet on the same wires would allow burst of traffic on one of the subnets to use 300 MB banwidth) ???
I use 2.4.26 deb kernels on both servers.
--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile